Sunday, August 14, 2011

He's Driving, I'm Scared

Yup...it's official...Dominic is driving. Friday afternoon he had his first session of Driver's Training with an instructor. So naturally when I got home from work Friday evening the first words out of his mouth were, "Can we go driving?!?!"
Oh boy, here we go! I was reluctant but he said that he had done really well that afternoon. So I agreed to let him drive Connor and I to go get frozen yogurt for the family. (Dad was our photographer...I think he's liking our new camera:) 
Back to basics...First check your seat postion and mirrors.


I probably should have told Dominic that because our driveway is slanted down toward the street, he doesn't need to step on the gas to back out. We backed out a lot faster than Mom was comfortable with! Ok, I was tentative before...now a little freaked out!


Halfway up to the yogurt shop, he started to suddenly pull over to the side of the road...ummm...what are we doing?!?! Turns out he had forgotten his permit at home. After explaining to him that in a situation like that, it's a good idea to explain to me what is going on before he just starts to pull over...we switched spots. I took a sigh of relief as I proceeded to drive us the rest of the way. Side note: If you don't know me very well, you may or may not know that I am a person that really, really likes to be in control of my environment. Sitting in the passenger seat of our family vehicle while my teenage son has sole control of the wheel, is a lot harder for me than I had anticipated. I was literally gripping the door handle, white knuckles, and my feet were dug into the floor board. All of this, and he really was pretty good for it having been only his second time behind the wheel!

When we got home, Dominic told me, "Mom, in the future I'm going to need you to relax a little. You made me nervous."

Who me?!?! I was cool as a cucumber ;)   Ooops. I guess I didn't play it off very well! 

Thankfully, Saturday morning he had his second session with an instuctor...thus 2 more hours of practice...downtown Walnut Creek on a Saturday as well as some freeway driving.


Saturday evening my mom took him out for more practice. She is perfect for the job. That woman is the most calm and patient person in the world. (Maybe she can be the one to teach him!)

Finally on Sunday I let him drive home from the grocery store. It's amazing how much a few hours of practice can make. He did really well! And so did I. Jeff even let him drive his truck to get gas and to spend the night at a friend's house. I was pleasantly surprised when the guys came home still talking to one another:)

There are several things about parenting that in the past, I would have said, "Oh that's no big deal. I'll be really good at that..." This is one of them...yeah...not that great after all.

My baby, my little blonde curly haired Dominic who once upon a time would say to me, "Mommy, I wuv we" (Mommy, I love you) is venturing into a very scary new world. Even if he is an amazing driver and we teach him well, there are so many impatient crazy people out there on the roads and so many uncontollable variables. A very special young woman from church was in a horrible car accident this past week and is fighting for her life right now. We talked to Dominic about what an example this is of what a huge responsibility driving is and how quickly things can happen.
And how precious life is.
There is one thing I do have control of...reminding myself that as I let go of control of my son, he is in God's hands always...no matter where he is or what he is doing. For that, I am so thankful.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, you are a great teacher! And a very good driver, so Dom has a good example in you. I'd like to mention that I also learned to drive in a minivan...good times were had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of the two of you in the car. You look so cute! And Dom is SO grown up!

    p.s. I learned to drive on a Mini Van Too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wise woman once told me, "never trust a man with a van".

    ReplyDelete
  4. ME TOO (learned to drive in a mini-van). I remember pulling over, throwing the keys at my dad and swearing at him (if only I could kick my 16 year old butt for that) when he was teaching me how to drive. Now I totally get why he was such a basketcase! Can't believe Dom is old enough to drive. Scary.

    ReplyDelete